Monday 2 November 2009

Nick Brandt









My interest in photography has stemmed from my annual visits to the national parks in South Africa. Today, African wildlife is one of the most overexposed subjects on the planet. For this reason, I find it difficult to take an individual photograph and so that is why I keep this passion of mine as more of a hobby than a way to make money. However, I recently came across a photographer, who has achieved an extremely unique approach. Nick Brandt is an English photographer who spends months finding the perfect composition and then will manipulate his subject using Photoshop. He changes his images using infrared techniques and he also often employs blurred and faded borders to recall the look of antique photographs. His photographs are transformed into dream-like, elegant photographs, which appear more like paintings. He also refuses to use a telephoto lens and instead, will track animals for days just to get up close and personal to them and I think this adds to intimate feeling in each photograph.

No comments: